Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lysistrata!

While reading Lysistrata, my roommate looked at me with eyebrows up when i bursted into a giggle here and there. I like the way the translator wrote her intro and footnotes. She put her own voice in it. The conflict between men and women can be found in this play, again. I haven't read the essays yet, but I look forward to it. The dialogue was so blunt and colorful! Even one of the youtube clips quite literally colorful. The women with vibrant colors and langerie, the men as soldiers with attached (large) penises. I got to thinking, why on earth didn't our Drama coach in highschool have us do a piece from this play?! It could have been a hoot and a half for classical duo! (then again perhaps it was because our little school wouldn't have a approved because sex is so tabooed...)
I was thinking about this men vs. women conflict...and the other day i was hanging out with one of my girlfriends and she was talking about her boyfriend. Apparently he was getting on her nerves about driving home after a nite out at the bars. She actually said something along the lines of, "I just don't know how to get it through his head to not drive after drinking! Maybe I should just deny him." That whole conversation was even funnier after reading Lysistrata. Its funny, how if we take someone's weakness, and hold on to it, how they will bend in the direction we want them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment